Marine Surveyor (Hydrographer) needed in Texas
apply through website link
Fugro has recently established the Hydrography Center of Excellence at its Houston campus. The core technologies and expertise of this new group revolve around bathymetry surveys, such as hydrographic and nautical charting whereby utilizing both vessel and aircraft data collections. In addition to these existing markets, the group is focused to expand into coastal zone management (CZM), oceanography, environmental and climate sciences, and law of the sea boundary claims. Moving forward, many of the technologies being developed and assessed by the group involve autonomous vessels and aircraft applications such as ASV for maritime and UAV for the airborne.
With the growing demand for these services, additional staffing is now required to support the group, and our customers. Many of the existing and future projects are in support of government coastal, oceanographic and seabed classification requirements.
This is a field survey position in the team, and is responsible for conducting hydrographic surveys. The position consists of both office and fieldwork.
Ideal applicants have a strong background or education in some or all the following; geomatics, GEOINT, engineering, surveying, mapping, multibeam, Lidar, survey equipment integration, GPS, GNSS, tides, remote sensing and maritime cartography. A Category A (CAT-A) or ACSM accreditation is also desirable.
Technical experience with installing, integrating and calibrating survey sensors would be a strong attribute, such as; echosounders (Reson, Kongsberg, R2 Sonic or Norbit), side scan sonar, lidar, IMU (such as Applanix), tide gauge, winches, and navigation equipment.
Survey experience with configuring and utilizing any or all of the following software would be considered a strong attribute; Caris, Qincy, Hypack, Winfrog, and PosPac,
The following are a characterization of responsibilities both in the office and field would be:
- Review project requirements and specifications, to ensure objective of field deployment is clear.
- Assess and evaluate vessel or aircrafts for system integration and operational fit-for-purpose.
- Prepare and test field equipment suite for deployment.
- Participate in the field kick-off meetings with Fugro field staff, sub contractors, and customer representatives.
- Insure the successful execution of the project plan as efficiently and safely as possible.
- Configure and validate the data acquisition and processing software in accordance with work instructions and procedures.
- Review and assess preliminary data onsite to ensure all contract requirements are being achieved and pass required quality control.
- Create and maintain daily log sheets, as well as populate field database of results..
- Address any issues with equipment, data quality or safety concerns during the field operations.
- Capture and compile all lessons learned of the course of the project, and assist in the investigation of how to correct them moving forward.
- Ensure operations performed are carried out in an environmentally aware manner consistent with Fugro policy
- Comply with the Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Plan
- Ensure all project personnel are familiar with the project HSE Plan as well as all applicable Job Safety Analysis (JSA).
- Participate in safety meetings and toolbox talks are held and the applicable JSA is referred and reviewed.
This would be a great position for candidates with survey experience in the offshore industry, and who enjoys travel, field work and team success.
Relocation may be considered for exceptionally qualified applicants.
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbent will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by the supervisor.
Fugro is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the recruitment process are encouraged to contact Human Resources directly.