GIS Analyst needed in Sarasota, Florida
City of Sarasota
apply through link
$48,695.50 - $62,086.75
To provide high-level maintenance and support services for the City’s Geographical Information Systems (GIS) hardware, systems software, applications software, network communications and database.
The work contributes to the effectiveness of the City’s Information Technology Programs, and their ability to deliver consistently high quality service to the public.
- Consults with users to analyze and determine user information needs and evaluate available application packages.
- Participates in studies of existing systems to evaluate and recommend alternative information technology approaches to users and determine cost estimates associated with applications.
- Provides basic guidance and technical advice to users regarding systems criteria and specifications.
- Converts, transfers, and validates GIS data.
- Updates GIS databases, maps, website content, and documentation on a regular and as-needed basis.
- Conducts routine tests and modifies system segments; assists in evaluating and determining adequacy of system in meeting user and data processing requirements.
- Participates as an active member in project work involving the application of basic systems criteria and the specification, installation and testing of computerized applications.
- Makes periodic reports to the designated supervisor concerning the status of the City’s GIS System.
- Provides continuous input and analysis on the business application of GIS in other government agencies based on research and surveys.
- Creates documentation of procedures and processes, metadata, and best practices.
- Leads the City’s GIS steering committee and reports committee information back to supervisor.
- Produces maps, graphics and charts on a regular and as-needed basis.
- Performs ESRI system administration as well as necessary SQL administration.
- The intent of this class description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that would be required of classifications given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbent may be required to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this job description.
Minimum Qualifications: Associate Degree from an accredited college or university in Geography, Civil Engineering, Computer Science or a related field, three (3) years of experience in geography, civil engineering or computer science OR a Bachelor Degree from an accredited college or university in Geography, Civil Engineering, Computer Science or a related field and one (1) year of experience in geography, civil engineering, or computer science; or the equivalent in education, training, and experience, which would provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.