Assistant Field Operations Manager
Salt Lake County
apply through website
Salt Lake City, UT
Assists the Field Operations Manager in the direct supervision of field crew section and daily management of projects, activities, and staff assignments.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Surveying, Drafting, Pre-engineering or Geographic Studies plus four (4) years of experience in a related field; OR eight (8) years of experience in a related field; OR an equivalent combination of education and
Must possess and maintain a Utah State Professional Land Surveyor License.
Must have or be able to obtain a valid Utah driver’s license in order to operate a county vehicle.
Salary: $66,014 BOE
- Assists Field Operations Manager in the supervising of field staff which includes hiring, promoting, orienting, training, assigning and reviewing work performance, annual work performance appraisal, and discipline.
- Assists Field Operations Manager in developing a budget; prepares and monitors expenditures.
- Assists Field Operations Manager in developing and implementing performance measures. Assists in the monitoring and analyzing of goals and outcomes.
- Acts as Field Operations Manager in his absence.
- Assists the Field Operations Manager in managing, directing, assigning, reviewing, and approving survey work required to support boundary, profile, topographical, and construction surveys for Salt Lake County Real Estate, Parks and Recreation, Engineering, and other agencies.
- Assists the Field Operations Manager in the development and implementation of policies and procedures that effectively use personnel, materials, and equipment.
- Assists the Field Operations Manager in the management of the department’s automotive fleet.
- Supervises field personnel in the implementation and coordination of work projects and manages projects to insure accuracy and completion. Coordinates status and transfer of completed work assignments with Field Manager.
- Oversees the deployment and use of safety equipment and traffic control procedures maintaining compliance with federal, state, and county regulations.
- Oversees field activities in support of boundary, topographical, and construction surveys and coordinates the transfer and distribution of information with departments in Salt Lake County and other agencies.
- Oversees and trains field personnel in the use of field books, work sheets, and data collectors to ensure accuracy of survey information. Checks the accuracy of field notes, drawings, angles, distances, elevations, and calculations.
- Obtains and implements appropriate use permits when working within restricted right of way corridors.
- Researches survey information, interprets construction drawings, collects field information, calculates mathematical positions, prepares and interprets boundary and easement descriptions.
- Develops and implements plans regarding the direction and design of the County horizontal and vertical Survey Control System. Enters, reviews, monitors, and corrects survey control information in the County Surveyor’s database. Trains office personnel in the use, maintenance, and management of the County Survey Control System and provides consultation service to users of the System.
- Analyzes maps, plats, and documents to calculate boundary closures and monument placement and assist in determining the relative position of record vs. actual values.
- Maintains a survey monument identification scheme and supervises manufacturing, installation, repair, referencing, and supply inventory.
- Investigates validity of complaints relative to sectional responsibilities and initiates corrective action by using appropriate County policies and procedures.
- Represents the County Surveyor as a public relations liaison with private and public agencies on survey related issues.